Looking good is not just a forte of women any more, men work equally harder for looking smart and handsome enough to catch the attention of not just ladies but also other people of the same gender. This phenomenon of looking smart and experimenting with looks has given rise to more demand for Male Plastic Surgery.
Plastic Surgery is a special type of surgery that is done to remove or repair certain deformities of the human body without any alteration in the function performed by the part has undergone the surgery. The term plastic surgery is derived from the Greek word PLASTIKOS which means to form or mold.
Next thing you need to know is that plastic surgery and cosmetic surgery are two totally different things. Plastic Surgery and Cosmetic Surgery are closely related specialties but they are not the same. Let’s understand the difference.
Cosmetic Surgery– This surgery focuses on enhancing the appearance of the person. The procedures, techniques and principles of cosmetic surgery are entirely focused on improving aesthetic appeal, symmetry and body proportions.
Plastic Surgery– Plastic surgery as already discussed is concerned with a surgical specialty dedicated to reconstruction of facial and body defects due to birth disorders. It intends to correct dysfunctional areas of the reconstructive in nature.
It is oftenly believed that it is the female section of the society who are more inclined towards getting the plastic or cosmetic surgery done, But that is not true for the 21st century scenario. Man continue to suffer the pressure of looking good as women do therefore inclination towards Male Plastic Surgery is increasing world wide.
According to a survey, about 15.6 million cosmetic procedures are conducted on men. Men take up surgery as a key tool to help them succeed. The popular type of Male Plastic Surgery are highlighted below–
1. High-Definition Liposuction
3. Rhinoplasty i.e. Nose job
4. Chin implants for Jawline Augmentation
6. Blepharoplasty (Eye Lift)
7. Boutulinum toxin Type A (Botox)
8. Laser Hair Removal
A detailed description of the most popular Male Plastic Surgery are explained below–
• LIPOSUCTION– Liposuction is a contouring tool and not a weight loss technique. In Liposuction plastic surgeons use the cannulas or hollow metal tubes to vacuum fat from various parts of the body usually the abdomen, thighs, buttocks, hips, back of the arms, and neck. Liposuction is used for male breast reduction. Complications are rare but nearly possible. They include the accumulation of blood under the skin, changes in sensation, allergic reactions, underlying structures and unsatisfying results.
Cost– According to American Society of Plastic Surgery estimated cost of liposuction is $6500.
• GYNECOSMATIC (Male Breast Reduction)- Excess Fat and skin of the breast which can affect the size and shape of the nipple- areola complex, might give a feminizing effect to man’s chest. Reduction of mammaplasty, causes decrease in breast size. The enlargement of men’s breast is due to a number of reasons such as hormone secretions, drug usage, Genetic disorders or obesity etc. Usually the surgeons perform liposuction to reduce the breast size and if necessary they might even perform excision technique to remove skin and re-position the nipples.
Cost– According to American Society of Plastic Surgery estimated cost of Male Breast Reduction is $3100.
• RHINOPLASTY (Nose Surgery)- Rhinoplasty commonly called a nose job, is the most popular cosmetic surgery for men. Proportionality of the nose is everything for men, therefore men who do not like the shape of their nose or who possibly have problem in breathing through the nose can opt for rhinoplasty to open nasal airways or transform their nose to appear more symmetrical and aesthetically pleasing. In This surgery, a plastic surgeon incision and peels back the skin that covers the nose, forcefully reshaped or reduces the bones or cartilage then re-drapes the skin and sutures the incisions.
Cost– According to American Society of Plastic Surgery estimated cost of Rhinoplasty is $4500.
• BLEPHAROPLASTY– Aging is something everyone is scared of especially the wrinkles around the eyes. Loose hanging furrowed skin, lateral brows that hang over the upper eyelids with accentuated tears troughs put forward the image of increasing age. Fortunately this surgery helps to achieve tightening of muscles which prevents skin from sagging down.
Cost– According to American Society of Plastic Surgery estimated cost of Blepharoplasty is $2800.
• CHIN AUGMENTATION– Men who aim for more prominent chin go for chin augmentation. If the lower jaw is limited by lack of growth it can pottery a less of a masculine appearance. By providing correct judgement a plastic surgeon can provide an enhanced projection with the combination of either an implant or re-positioning the bone along with liposuction of jawline.
Cost– According to American Society of Plastic Surgery estimated cost of chin augmentation is $3500.
• NECKLIFTS– Aging usually causes turkey necks which causes uneasiness in dressing and causes in increase in the weight of the neck. For men who face problems like these the surgeons suggest to go for neck lifts. The procedure for this is simple and less painful, the only thing important in this the patient need to have a strong jawline and chin. It cannot stop aging process but only helps to improve physical appearance.
Cost– According to American Society of Plastic Surgery estimated cost of neck lifts is about $2100.
Male Cosmetic Surgery and Male Plastic Surgery Procedures are available for any part of the body but the choice to undergo a cosmetic surgery should not be taken lightly. The results are often permanent, so it is important to be sure about the decision, to use an appropriate surgeon and to have right motivation.
It is the duty of the surgeon to refer a patient for counselling before any cosmetic or plastic surgery if they believe there is an underlying problem that cannot be solved by the surgery, or if the patient shows signs of Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD).
Therefore before going for a male plastic surgery or a male cosmetic surgery it is important o consult as many persons as possible and where as it concerns men who are strongly built on the inside and weak from inside, it is important to share each and every concern with doctors and close people before you opt to go for a surgery because in men plastic surgery result are mostly permanent and cannot be reversed.